Sunday, April 4, 2010

Settlers of Catan

About a year and a half ago I found this awesome strategy game called Settlers of Catan.  It was on a homeschool blog and I was looking for fun homeschool games.  It was invented in Germany in 1995, and has just gotten popular here in the states.  According to my lil brother who came back from Amsterdam a year ago it's also all the rage in Europe.  He was amazed when we pulled it out to play at Christmas.  (He was also amazed that we had Nutella).  We had to special order it as it wasn't available in any stores at the time.  I was stunned to see it in Target yesterday ~ stunned.  I am so cutting edge :)

So about 6 months or so ago we invited our good friends the Kerrs over to play this super fun game with us.  We knew that they loved board games as well and frankly they are two of our favorite people and we're always looking for an opportunity to hang with them.  Long story short they got HOOKED on the game as well and not only figured out that we were initially playing it quite wrong but that it can also be a ticket to divorce court.  Just kidding, but do be forewarned that if you are super competitive this game can get intense. 

So it's kind of become our "thing".  We collaborate on dinner than get the kids comfortable with a movie and get our Catan on.  It's my idea of a perfect night.  Especially when my mad strategy skills kick in and I win like last night.  BOOYAH!!!

Shaun & Bonnie:

The Game Board


Shaun seriously contemplating his strategy.


Ev setting up his pieces.



Bonnie contemplating as well


My hand
Shaunie boy CONCENTRATING!

And these sweet kids concentrating as well :)

My Isaiah was soooooo sweet with Bri, Bri last night.

And my darling husband who hates the paparrazzi I can sometimes be.

No comments: