Sunday, March 28, 2010

Makin Tortillas

As the resident Mexican in Ev's family (j/k) I was given the job of making tortillas and my grandmother's Mexican rice for my brother-in-law's birthday dinner which was a bit of a Mexican Fiesta.  Gourmet Chicken Mole, Rice, Beans, homemade guacamole, homemade salsas, tortillas & nopales.  I set to work about 1:30 in the afternoon and shortly thereafter Z wandered inside.  

Turns out yesterday we were in like a bizarro world or maybe it was just opposite day.  The girls worked outside in the yard with Dad while the boys stayed inside and cooked with me.  Strange and Bizarre because the boys, Isaiah in particular is typically glued to his Dad's side.  We're talking glued.  Mom is chopped liver compared to Dad.  But something about watching me make tortillas sucked him in.  After watching me make about 5 he said ~ hey can I go wash my hands and help?  I was like ~ ummm yeah, definitely.  We had a great time and he was an amazing helper.  Although some of his tortillas ended up looking like Texas, for the most part they looked like Hawaii, which was our goal :)

He rolled I cooked.  Totally takes me back to my Mexican roots and makes me think of my Grandmother. 


Need some extra flour to roll with. I think this is what I love most about my granite counters.  I love the way they look, but I especially love rolling tortillas straight out on the smooth cool surface.




Gotta put a bit more flour out each time you roll.  It's important because that's how you get that extra layer of flour on your shirt :)

Making a good ball is important to the process and to getting Hawaii shaped tortillas








My helper was pretty proud of himself.  I forgot to take pictures of the finished product but we ended up with 3 dozen for Uncle Christian's birthday fiesta.

2 comments:

Xtian said...

And they were amazingly delicious!! It was fun reading about what went into the process of making these beauties - I'm glad you shared this with everyone. I love you, sis! =)

Heather said...

Yum!!!

We had fish tacos for my Amanda's birthday party recently, but of course I have no idea how to make fresh tortillas, so Mission Tortillas came to my rescue. :)

I think I may have some Mexican blood in me - at least in my stomach, because I crave Mexican food all the time!!!